August 16, 2018
By Alex Topor
Corry-area nonprofits will receive a total of $64,334 though an eighth annual Erie Gives Day.
Erie Gives is a yearly fundraiser sponsored by the Erie Community Foundation. The event is the largest one-day charitable fundraising effort of the year that the foundation hosts. There were nearly 400 Erie-area nonprofit organizations that participated this year.
From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday donors made an online donation to as many of their favorite nonprofits as they wished by logging on to www.eriegives.org. A total of $4,459,834 was donated to Erie County organizations by 7,917 donors.
The Erie Community Foundation enhanced each donation by providing a prorated match to each gift made. The foundation and its sponsors provided a $300,000 match to be split up among participating nonprofits.
Also, The Corry Community Foundation gave a $10,000 prorated match for nonprofits serving the Corry area.
This year, 23 Corry-area nonprofits participated in the event. New nonprofits this year included the Corry Area Food Pantry, New Life Restoration, United Fund of the Corry Area and St. Elizabeth Cemetery.
The donation total is down from last year when $67,410.36 was raised between 21 organizations. Two nonprofits from last year didn’t participate in Erie Gives 2018.
“We continue to be honored and humbled by the generosity of Corry’s residents,” Shelby Scouten, Corry Community Foundation executive assistant said. “While our numbers are slightly down from last year, we have four more nonprofits than last year and our number of donors has increased which is a good indicator for Corry’s future.”
The total donation amount with the match from the Corry Community Foundation is as follows:
• YMCA of Corry: $16,957, $2,829.47.
• Foundation for Sustainable Forests: $14,082, 2,349.74.
• Corry Higher Education Council: $9,254, $1,544.13.
• Corry Community Foundation: $4,404.
• Corry Public Library: $2,886, $481.56.
• Corry Area Historical Society: $2,769, 462.04.
• LifeCare Resource and Pregnancy Center: $2,729, $455.03.
• Love Inc. of Union City, Spartansburg and Corry: $1,256, $209.58.
• St. Thomas the Apostle Church: $1,164, $194.23.
• Corry Area Food Pantry: $973, $156.35.
• Corry PTO: $912, $152.18.
• The Corry Area Arts Council: $753, $125.65.
• Impact Corry: $631, $105.29.
• Hope Ministry: $461, $76.92.
• St. Thomas Cemetery: $444, $74.09.
• Mead Park Association: $437, $72.92.
• Pine Grove Cemetery Association: $218, $36.38.
• New Life Restoration: $184, $30.70.
• Corry Industrial Benefit Association: $146, $24.36.
• Corry Rotary Club: $146, $24.36.
• Corry Memorial Hospital, an affiliate of LECOM Health: $121, $20.19.
• Unified Fund of the Corry Area: $121, $20.19.
• St. Elizabeth Cemetery: $27, $8.18.
“Overall it was a great day for our nonprofits and a great day for the Corry Community Foundation,” Scouten said. “Great things are coming to the city of Corry and we are lucky to live in a community blessed with generous people.”
Nonprofits will receive the donations on Aug. 28, at an Erie Gives Check Distribution Day event.